Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Diebold in the N.C.

I found this link: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/29/2024208&tid=103&tid=123&tid=219 on slashdot. Basically from what I understand Diebold (who makes the electronic voting machines in North Carolina) is under fire from the N.C. government because they won't fully disclose the code used for the software as required by law in N.C., and was recently denied protection from these charges.

Diebold's argument for not disclosing everything is because part of their software uses Microsoft's (or M$ for you l337 ones) Windows, and they're worried about the $100,000 fine that comes from revealing a 3rd party code, and furthermore it's impossible to provide a list of EVERY person who's coded Windows.

Now I can see the logic behind these arguments, but The State Board of Elections said that all companies must supply the code used, or an explanation why some code is not submitted. So obviously there are allowances in place incase of circumstances such as these.

What this makes me think is that Diebold may have something to hide. The claim that they can't release their code due to 3rd party code seems pretty weak in this light. So my question to you is:

1: Do they actually have a substantial claim here?
2: Hypothetically let's say the reason they're hiding their code is because the fears that they helped Bush win by cheating are true. What will happen then? Will Bush be kicked out of office? Will he be innocent due to "ignorance" (which I would find ironic), or will no one care?

On a personal note, I hope this goes through and Diebold is forced to release thier code (I'm not too concerned with the Microsoft part). Not because I belive they have something to hide, but because I want to see that when push comes to shove this law will actually be enforced and not just a paper tiger. Rawr.