Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Q&A with John McCain?

There are many things to like/dislike about John McCain, but I doubt any item will cause greater bipartisan support for John McCain than the idea of John McCain willfully submitting to a modified version of the House of Commons "Question Time".

One of the things that I truly admire about the British system of democracy is "Question Time", and I have long wished that it could be integrated into our American government. Maybe it would grow weary after awhile (as I have spent the majority of my life listening to politicians talking past one another rather than directly to one another the novelty may wear quickly), or maybe it will increase vitriol and partisanship exponentially and to our detriment. Either way, the specifics of the deal would be welcome from my end because it wouldn't require a change in the institutional structure of the government, allowing the idea to be ditched if poor, or expanded upon if well received.