Friday, October 31, 2008

AltDrag: Drag Windows More Easily

Ask a hardcore Linux user why they prefer the OSS OS, and they might go on about the core principles of Linux's design, or the basic philosophy of open source software. Only occasionally will they remember that both GNOME and KDE implement a few hundred things better than other Windows. None of these improvements are particularly earth shattering, but in aggregate, they are pretty remarkable.

Take window movement for example. If you want to drag a window in Ubuntu, you can drag the titlebar, like in Windows, or you can hold down the Alt key to click and drag any part of the window. If the titlebar is way off the screen, no problem.

AltDrag emulates this behavior for Windows.

I have a taskbar at the top of my screen (the bottom quarter inch of my display is broken, and I haven't gotten around to replacing it). Window tops stretch out of reach on me all the time, so AltDrag's a godsend.

Now I just need to find a clock like the one GNOME uses. Oh, here. Thanks, Google.

I suppose that's the one upside to Windows: if you can think of it, someone's probably already coded it.