Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Highs & Lows

Highs:
- Sean Penn's "You commie homo-loving suns of guns! I did not expect this, and I want it to be very clear I know how hard I make it to appreciate me often." A good line against the moral majority. He then undercut that delicious bit of subversion by explicitly chastising those that voted for Proposition 8. Ladies and gentlemen... Sean Penn!

- Ben Stiller's Joaquin Phoenix impersonation. Natalie Portman killed with the "You look like you work at a Hasidic meth lab" line.

Lows:

- The fake kisses from the actresses nominated for 'Best Actress'. It would have been bearable if the women presenting weren't butchering the kudos delivered. The whole time the actresses nominated were tearing up and mouthing 'I adore you'. These actresses all truly deserved the Oscar.

- "The musical is back!" No, Hugh... it's not. No matter how hard you want to believe. Hugh Jackman's second musical number was fine when he and Beyonce weren't singing on top of each other...on purpose.

Push:
- The five person presentation for the major awards. I liked the concept and presentation, but most of the people presenting had zero charm, zero believability in the what they were saying, and on occasion a complete inability to deliver basic lines of gratitude.